I went to Ghana in 2001. It was my senior
year of high school and the concert choir I was a member of went to perform at
various places. I had the time of my life. We stayed in the most amazing
hotels, ate amazing food, and saw amazing places such as the castles in Cape
Coast and the National Theater.
I could not believe I was in Africa! We
were on the bus and we stopped to exchange our currency. As I got off the bus a
gentleman stopped me and said, “Welcome home sistah.” Tears instantly swelled
up in my eyes. He began to ask me when I was born. I told him February 8th.
He told me my Ghanaian name is Abena (because I was born on a Tuesday). I
looked it up and I cannot BELIEVE its meaning!
Tuesday's child is the problem solver and planner of the family. They are structured in nature, neutral in all matters and never take sides.
That definition describes me too well! I thought I was a planner and
enjoyed structure because I am an engineer. Could this be who I am from birth?
If I traced my roots would my genesis be Ghana? I am often asked about
my heritage, and honestly, not knowing hurts. I sat with a group of students of
European descent as they discussed their Scandinavian heritage, German
heritage, etc. One asked, “Where are you originally from, Kari.” I’m not sure…



0 comments:
Post a Comment