Monday, April 16, 2012

When I Learned I Wasn't Chinese

It was hard for me to blend in when I was in China. I am a 5’8” Black girl with locs. At the time I wore my hair in what we call “kinky twists”. I visited many places in China including the Great Wall and Tianenmen Square. When I plan to visit other countries I try to read about the country so that I don’t say or do anything stupid or offensive, but nothing could prepare me for being asked my native Chinese people to take a picture with them because they’ve never seen a Black person.


One lady could not stop rubbing my face. She said my skin was so pretty and she wished that she had skin like mines. Really? I always get frustrated, especially in the summer, because I start to tan and I don’t like getting “too Black.” What is “too Black”? 

I was a star in China. Someone even thought I was Beyonce. Come on now, Beyonce? I started to play along, but I was afraid of what might happen. 

I could learn all the Mandarin Chinese I wanted, but nothing I could do would change the fact that I was tall and Black. Fat, too. I tried buying a dress and the woman said to me, “TOO BIG, TOO BIG!” In China, I wear a 5X.

0 comments:

Post a Comment